We are the people of St. Augustine, the first African American parish in the archdiocese, located in Western Louisville since 1870, and devoted to bringing the Word and Eucharist of our loving God to all people by our witness to God's presence in our worship, family life, social justice and outreach to the broader community.
1868 - Bishop William McCloskey appointed Fr. John L. Spalding to reorganize the Black Catholics of Louisville. The patron of this congregation was to be St. Augustine.
1870 - In November 1870, 75 members marched in procession from the Cathedral cellar to the new Church site on 4th and Broadway. The First Church of St. Augustine was blessed and opened by Bishop McCloskey on July 10th.
1871 - The School opened under the guidance of two Sisters of Charity.
1873 - The Josephite Order began service. This period witnessed growth of the parish school.
1911 - The third and present church cornerstone laid at 1308 W. Broadway.
1917 - St. Ann's Altar Society organized. Grave society organized.
1928 - The Knights of Peter Claver charted on November 25th.
1930 - Ladies Auxiliary of Knights of Peter Claver organized on September 30th.
1937 - First Homecoming celebrated. Because of the flood, three hundred refugees housed at St. Augustine.
1949 - Father William D. Hines named Pastor and Father George K. Bowling named assistant pastor. The Hines Center was named for the pastor.
1966- The first Parish council elected.
1974 - The renovation of the Church began. Father Edward Branch ordained as the first black priest in the Archdioceses of Louisville
1977 - Mr. Robert Grundy, ordained as the first black permanent deacon.
1981 - Fr. Gene Scheich installed as pastor.
1982 - St. Augustine's Choir participated in the installation ceremonies of archbishop Thomas C. Kelley.
1986 - Renovations of church and parish hall completed.
1990 - Archbishop Kelly ordained Mr. John R. Churchill as permanent deacon.
2002 - Fr. Paul Scaglione appointed pastor. St. Augustine held its first "Taste of St. Augustine."
2005 - Taste of St. Augustine changed to "The Slice of St. Augustine" and became a Kentucky Derby Event.
2006 - Archbishop Kelly ordained Mr. Keith McKenzie as permanent deacon. The Slice of St. Augustine renamed "The Slice."
2007 - Deacon James R. Turner named Pastoral Administrator. Fr. Michael Huggins assigned as Sacramental Moderator. Parish Council renamed Parish leadership Team. The Slice renamed "The Slice, Spice, Style and Soul."
2008 - Fire destroyed the St. Augustine Rectory. Fr. Pat Delahanty named Sacramental Moderator. St. Augustine became a member of Quad Parish team with St. Martin de Porres, Christ the King and Immaculate Heart of Mary Churches. The Slice became incorporated and the name changed to "The Slice Charities of Louisville, Inc."
2010 - 140th Church Anniversary celebrated with Archbishop Joseph Kurtz, D.D.
2012 - Addition of a ramp for the physically challenged, and installation of new church marquee completed.